A fun show to kick off the holiday week, recorded on a Saturday night! Very pleased to welcome Mike Dubin to the show! Mike is the Founder + CEO of DollarShaveClub.com.
I’ve been a loyal customer of DSC almost from the beginning. I love their approach to business and marketing, and it has been a lot of fun to watch the company grow and evolve.
Here some notes (and critical questions) from today’s conversation:
1. How important is the entrepreneur’s “own frustration” with the state of things to launching critical business ventures?
2. Is “stubbornness” a critical temperament of a successful entrepreneur?
3. Mike has an extensive background in media, digital marketing, and video. Is experience there critical to success in modern business?
4. “Improv” seems to be a more and more common background amongst today’s marketers and entrepreneurs. Is studying improv now required training for today’s executives?
5. Creative instincts are mission critical for modern business. And if you don’t have them, you need to incorporate those skills in the form of partners and hired talent.
6. Are entrepreneurs more focused on building out their current gig? Or are they always moving on to the new thing?
7. Can you launch a successful startup on the back of a viral video? Mike and I discuss the video that helped launch DSC, and whether that video (seen below) or the real value this brings men is the real reason for its growth.
8. The third product offering from Dollar Shave Club is butt wipes. Really. Why that matters, what that particular product really stands for, and how product development is the future of the company.
Here is the video that started it all, and hooked me as a new customer: