Internet Safety for Parents with Tom Kersting
This interview is part of a special series by intrepidNOW Lifestyle on Internet Safety. The series is targeted at parents that know that they must protect their children from the dangers of online access but are not quite sure how. We will interview the experts and share their prescriptive advice.
GUEST: Tom Kersting, Author and Psychotherapist at Valley Family Counseling
Tom joined us to share his advice for parents on many aspects of internet safety and to tell us about his new book, Disconnected: How To Reconnect Our Device Dependent Kids. Specifically, we talked with Tom about the following:
- (3:14) What is “acquired anxiety disorder” and how does it relate to technology use?
- (4:44) What does technology have to do with the reduction in emotional intelligence (EQ)
- (6:41) How is technology and social media affecting kids’ self-esteems?
- (8:07) You have a chapter in your book called “Parenting From a Distance”. Will you explain?
- (9:56) My favorite chapter in the book is entitled “The Multitasking Brains of Kids”. Will you please walk us through the discussion on multitasking?
- (12:03) Exactly how many hours per day are kids spending in front of screens?
- (14:34) How do we solve this problem of over-stimulated kids?
About Tom Kersting
Tom is the founder and owner of Valley Family Counseling LLC, which has been serving people in Bergen County since 2000. He is one of the most sought-after experts in the field of mental health, families and relationships as he provides advice to millions of people through regular television appearances, radio and print media in addition to private sessions.
Tom is also a nationally renowned psychotherapist, author and television personality. Tom is the co-host of two former A&E Network television series’, Surviving Marriage and Monster In Laws. He is a regular contributor for Fox New and appears regularly on the most popular talk shows and news shows providing expert advice on parenting, relationships and wellness. Tom has hosted television series’ for A&E Network, National Geographic Channel, Food Network and Oprah’s Wellness Network.
Latest posts by Joe Lavelle (see all)
- The Latest in DUI and DUID Toxicology - August 10, 2018
- Update: The Patient is the New Payer - July 30, 2018
- How Ostendio is Helping Providers to Combat Cybercrime - July 11, 2018