Internet Safety for Parents with Richard Guerry
This interview is part of a special series by intrepidNOW Lifestyle on Internet Safety. The series is targeted at parents that know that they must protect their children from the dangers of online access but are not quite sure how. We will interview the experts and share their prescriptive advice.
GUEST: Richard Guerry, Co-Founder of the Institute for Responsible Online and Cell-Phone Communication (IROC2)
Richard joined us to share his advice for parents on many aspects of Internet Safety for Parents. Specifically, we talked with Richard about the following:
- (4:32) Where do you stand on the balance between blocking and monitoring technology and teaching responsible use of technology?
- (7:24) The phrase that you imprinted on my brain when you presented at my son’s school was “public and permanent”. Will you define that for our audience?
- (11:09) One of the things that I harp on in a class that I give on social media is simply, “be nice”. However, let’s flip that over. What are some things to consider before being cruel on the Internet?
- (13:50) Is it possible to communicate safely while gaming? How?
- (16:46) How can parents like me use Technology to open windows of opportunity, not close them?
- (20:27) If parents are interested in getting your help, what is the best way to do that?
- (22:43) What are the top 2 or 3 things that parents ask you about as you present around the country?
Check out our other great interviews on Internet Safety for Parents!
About Richard Guerry
Richard Guerry is the founder of the non-profit organization the Institute for Responsible Online and Cell-Phone Communication (IROC2). Throughout the 1990’s, at the height of the technology revolution, Richard served as an interactive marketing executive. In his tenure, he encountered the darkest areas of the internet and discovered countless individuals unknowingly being manipulated and schemed, and their content being stolen and exploited. As a father of two young children, and an avid user of digital technology himself, he decided to make a change and start a new revolution centered on technology– Digital Consciousness.
In 2009, Richard left corporate America, and applied his vast experience and knowledge of internet safety to serve as the Executive Director of IROC2. He now travels across the country speaking to digital users, young and old, regarding the importance of practicing a Digital Consciousness™ in ever aspect of life to avoid any current – of future – digital disease™.
Richard is also the author of multiple cyber safety and citizenship books, and has been a featured speaker at many national conferences and conventions, including the National Conference on Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Prevention, the International Bullying Prevention Association, and the National Symposium on Child Abuse. He has also appeared as a digital safety expert on various media outlets like CNN, Radio Disney, MTV, Parade Magazine and many other local, regional, and international networks and publications.
- A cumulative list of Richard’s Speaking Programs can be found here
- Testimonials about Richard can be found here
- Information about Richard’s Books can be found;
- Video Interviews with Richard can be found here
Richard holds a bachelor’s degree in marketing and advertising from Rider University.
Latest posts by Joe Lavelle (see all)
- 2018 Top 10 - January 10, 2019
- Implementing Telemedicine for Chronic Care Management - December 14, 2018
- Implementing Telemedicine for Family Medicine - December 13, 2018