Joined in the INCUBATOR today by Nikhil Deshpande, Director, and Peter Lee, Marketin Director, of GeorgiaGov Interactive. GeorgiaGov Interactive is an outfit within the State of Georgia’s Georgia Tehnology Authority. The team works with various state agencies and elected officials to have an effective web presence. Making government less complicated for the constituents and helping them reach their goals as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Notes and today’s discussion guide about entrepreneurship and innovation in state government:
1. How do you structure and wireframe a state government website, which has to contain and link to so much information…which is a combination of helping people find what they are looking for and search.
2. Georgia.gov is a portal. People (visitors) don’t need to know the workings of government, but they do need to find what they are looking for and need. But the whole network is more than just a platform, they house and manage 80+ websites.
3. “A true partnership with the various state agencies.” What is Georgia doing that other states aren’t doing? A web development shop for state agencies…
4. You are a startup agileness about you, despite being a government department. How is that possible?
5. Heavy engagement with user testing and catering to the end user (the citizenry).
6. We discuss the GeorgiaGov team, and how they recruit in a competitive market.
7. There is no mandate that all state agencies have to use GeorgiaGov, so they have to earn the work they do on behalf of state agencies.
8. We discuss the events and education they offer, such as GovTalks…
9. We discuss safety and security of state web properties and the prevention of hackings and security breaches, with content testing and monitoring.
10. We discuss why they build on Drupal (scalable + stable), their ability to innovate, and what and why they are hosting on the cloud.
About Nikhil Deshpande:
Through his role as Director of GeorgiaGov Interactive, Nikhil manages a motivated team who manage the content publishing platform for www.georgia.gov and 65+ state agency websites.
Nikhil is also an adjunct faculty member at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), Atlanta campus, where he teaches Principles of Interaction Design and Social Game Design courses.
About Peter Lee:
Peter Lee is Editorial Director of GeorgiaGov, a division of the Georgia Technology Authority. His team of writers and content editors maintains GeorgiaGov, the official website for the State of Georgia. He also works with other state agencies to develop and improve their websites, offering consultation and insight on how to make their sites more usable.
Peter has more than 20 years of writing and editing experience and has been working with content management systems for 12 years. A graduate of Berry College, he holds a master’s degree in communications from Georgia State University and is a Certified Usability Analyst.
About your Co-Hosts:
TRICIA WHITLOCK: Tricia is the Editor of Hypepotamus, THE publication for Atlanta’s thriving startup scene. She grew up in Atlanta, is a two time Georgia State grad, and ran her own small business during her college years. Now she writes about the movers and shakers in our local tech ecosystem. You can check her out on the Atlanta Tech Edge on Sundays and hustling around Midtown every day of the week. EMAIL TRISH
TODD SCHNICK: With over twenty years in business, media, and politics, Todd has plenty of battle scars. With an early career as a national political operative, then starting six companies, to hosting thousands of interviews on the radio, Todd’s work as a business and media strategist comes with a unique collection of experiences in the trenches. A distance runner, writer, and speaker, Todd lives with his family in Brookhaven, Georgia. EMAIL TODD.