Joined in studio today by Marty Fleischmann, CEO + Co-Founder, of Farrago Comics: Awesome comic books by the best creators and publishers, all for FREE! Over 400 comics & graphic novels in many genres — quick install, then explore & pay nothing but attention!
Notes and today’s discussion guide from today’s show: Free comic books from Farrago Comics!
1. “The Spotify for comic books!”
2. The inspiration behind Farrago Comics: Serving the creators…Helping them make more!
3. Emerging from a long-term beta phase!
4. Freemium models, do they work in comics? How does the content provided from places like Pandora and Spotify impact comics?
5. Now over 600 books now on Farrago!
6. A who’s who of players on the comic book stage!
7. “We are positively disruptive!”
8. Geek culture? Are they fans? Are they taking over popular culture?
9. How they plan to expand the audience for comic book readers!
10. Moving from the “Spotify for comics books” to the “Netflix for comic books!”
11. “Bringing back the golden age of comic book reading AND creation!”
12. How are you creating these great creators?
13. How do you monetize this?
14. What is the power of the date Farrago is collecting?
15. There is significant merchandising opportunity as well…
16. How will you build audience?
17. Any ongoing fundraising rounds happening? Late seed round, pre-Series A. Atlanta is quickly becoming a digital-media hub…
18. What are the longer-term recruiting + developer needs?
19. Is there a Shark Tank future here?
About Martin Fleischmann:
Marty is a veteran entrepreneur, guiding companies through several stages. He co-founded and ran online insurance lead generation firm MostChoice in 2000; it hit #80 on the Inc500 in 2006 and was #1 on Deloitte’s Georgia Tech Fast 50, #4 in 2007, had a $10M run rate with 40% margins in 2008. He was a Catalyst Magazine Top 25 Atlanta entrepreneur three years in a row. Before MostChoice Marty spent a year at AutoTrader.com in its infancy in 1999, and before that seven years in management consulting in D.C. and Atlanta. He created EnergyFool.com in 2011-12 as an energy efﬁciency lead service, then in 2012-14 Marty was CMO at an online education company and consulted on marketing strategy for the C-level at the leading non-profit online university. Since mid-2014 he has focused on growing Farrago Comics, which aims to be the “Spotify for Comic Books”.
Marty founded and chairs the Atlanta Business Chronicleʼs 40 Under 40 Alumni Group, and as an active member of the 21st Century Leaders board helped bring them together to create and present the 20 Under 20 Awards. Marty earned a B.A. magna cum laude with distinction in Economics from Yale, where he was a coxswain on the heavyweight crew team, and has an MBA from Wharton Business School, where he was managing editor of the Wharton Journal, coxed, and was in the cast of the annual Wharton Follies.
About your Co-Hosts:
ASHLEY STAGGS: Ashley is the Director of Marketing at FinTech startup Wela. Passionate about introducing consumers to life-enhancing products, has nearly ten years of managing marketing departments for startups and growth-phase businesses. During football season you can find Ashley sporting blue and orange and cheering on her Florida Gators. Outside of football season Ashley is touring Atlanta brunch spots in search of the perfect French toast or taking her chiweenie Roxie to the dog park. EMAIL ASHLEY.
TODD SCHNICK: With over twenty years in business, media, and politics, Todd has plenty of battle scars. With an early career as a national political operative, then starting six companies, to hosting thousands of interviews on the radio, Todd’s work as a business and media strategist comes with a unique collection of experiences in the trenches. A distance runner, writer, and speaker, Todd lives with his family in Brookhaven, Georgia. EMAIL TODD.