State of Security in the Next Generation Healthcare Network
TODAYS GUEST Chris Richter, Senior Vice President of Global Security Services for Level 3 Communications
Chris joined us to tell us about the great work that Level 3 is doing to enable enhanced information-sharing, collaboration and application performance and also she discusses their recent Healthcare Security Study. Specifically, we discussed the following with Chris:
- (3:43) Chris, will you start by identifying the overall trends in security in Healthcare today in terms of technology, costs, and talent?
- (6:30) Chris, we read new headlines almost every week about security issues in healthcare. But what can you tell us about the general state of healthcare security beyond the headlines? What are your observations? What are the current risks? Can you share any case studies?
- (8:40) Early last year we heard about many cases of Ransomware attacks, but not some much anymore. Have the attacks stopped or are they just getting less press?
- (10:35) Level 3 has just completed a Healthcare Security Study. Will you give us a preview of the study and the key takeaways?
- (15:38) We’ve clearly identified and somewhat quantified the problem, Chris. But what is a healthcare organization to do. What are some top threat mitigation recommendations you can offer to our listeners?
- (18:05) What predictions do you have for healthcare security space in 2017?
2017 Healthcare Security Study
The 2017 Healthcare Security Study, conducted by HIMSS Analytics and sponsored by Level 3 Communications, Inc. (LVLT), was designed to identify and understand high-level IT security concerns in the healthcare industry as the threat landscape continues to evolve, placing the industry’s valuable healthcare data and critical care infrastructure at risk. Here is a multimedia summary 2017 Healthcare Security Study and Chris Richter provides a great high level overview in the video below.
About Chris Richter
Chris Richter is Level 3’s Senior Vice President of Global Security Services with responsibility for the company’s Global Managed and Professional Security Services line of business. With 30 years of experience in IT, Chris has held a number of leadership positions in managed security, IT consulting and sales with several technology product and services organizations. He served most recently as vice president of Managed Security Services at CenturyLink.
For more than a decade, Chris has assisted numerous IT organizations in adapting their premises-based infrastructure risk management programs and security controls to outsourced, virtualized and shared-infrastructure services. He has acted as both a board member and technical advisor for technology firms, and writes and speaks regularly about cybersecurity, risk management and IT outsourcing. Chris also is a member of the Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) and Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) and holds Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) certifications.
Follow the security conversation with Chris on Twitter @richteroncyber.
About Level 3 Communications
Latest posts by Joe Lavelle (see all)
- How Ostendio is Helping Providers to Combat Cybercrime - July 11, 2018
- Experian Health to Help Providers with Consumerism at HFMA - June 4, 2018
- The Solution to Proper Medication Disposal - May 25, 2018