TODAYS GUEST Dr. Bobby Park, Director of Virtual Healthcare Delivery at RelyMD
Dr. Park joined us to discuss how RelyMD is bringing Urgent Care Telemedicine to North Carolina. Specifically, we discuss the following with Dr. Park:
- (4:05) How did you come up with the idea for RelyMD?
- (8:50) What can you treat via RelyMD?
- (11:57) Does telemedicine saves money vs. an emergency room or urgent care?
- (15:13) We are seeing that Telemedicine is now a benefit offered by employers, do you guys participate in that? And If so how does that work?
- (17:03) How do you go to market? Who is your customer?
- (17:51) What advice would you give to our listeners that are potential #telemedicine patients?
- (19:12) Are there any anecdotes or stories regarding your service that you might be able to share?
- (21:15) What’s next for RelyMD? What new offerings will you be providing your customers as we head into 2016?
The idea for RelyMD started with a phone call received by one of our physicians, Bobby Park. His young niece had accidentally cut her hand, and because the pediatrician’s office and urgent care clinics were closed, her mom was getting ready to drive her to the emergency room. The cut wasn’t horrible, but she wasn’t sure if her daughter would need stitches or a tetanus shot. As they were getting into the car, she realized that her brother, the emergency medicine doctor, might be able to save her a trip. Using their smartphones, Dr. Park was able to examine the wound. It turned out that the cut could be handled with soap, water, and simple bandages. They talked about how to clean, dress and manage the wound. In the end, that phone call saved hours of time and hundreds of dollars. The next day in the office, several of us talked about the call, and we all shared similar stories. As emergency physicians, we know that there are many times when people don’t need to have access to the full services of an expensive emergency department, but have no other place to get quick access to medical care. If this kind of technology was so helpful to our friends and family, it seemed logical that the general public might want the same benefit. The idea for RelyMD was born. (from http://relymd.com/about-us/)