Host Joe Lavelle
Guest Leigh Williams, Administrator, Business Systems, UVA Health System
Congrats to Leigh on her new position!
- When did you personally start working on #ICD10? When did your current organization start working on #ICD10?
- What #ICD10 resources have you found most helpful?
- #ICD10 testing: Can you ever do enough?
- What should providers be doing the next 48 days in preparations for the October 1 Transition?
- What about after October 1? What should providers plan for the 6-12 months after October 1?
- Where can we see you speak in the remainder of 2015?
Leigh’s Near Future Speaking Engagements
- Financial Leadership Advisory Council at EPIC UGM August 31 – September 2 in Wisconsin
- HIMSS Revenue Cycle Solutions Summit December 7-8 in Atlanta
Leigh’s Previous Episodes
- Episode 7: #ICD10 Roundtable: Dr. John Showalter and Leigh Williams: Forging ahead in 2014 with Improved Documentation
- Leigh Williams and Dr. John Showalter: Sharing Thought Leadership on Engagement
- Dr. John Showalter and Leigh Williams of UMMC on #ICD10 Readiness at #GC3HIMSS
Leigh Williams is an innovative revenue cycle leader transforming health information management (HIM) to improve care communications, gain accuracy in health data capture, and successfully operationalize a response to governmental mandates for improved quality in healthcare. Leigh recently joined UVA Health System as a member of the Health Information Technology senior leadership team. Her role at UVA Health System is focused on overseeing the portfolio of business systems supporting revenue cycle, finance, human resources, supply chain, and clinical operations as our organization manages the transition to a pay-for-performance healthcare delivery environment.
As director of revenue cycle at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), Leigh headed the hospital and professional fee coding, electronic health records, and clinical documentation improvement departments. She has served as the institute’s executive director for ICD-10 implementation since 2013 and currently oversees the clinical documentation excellence program for 6 hospitals and more than 100 clinics. Leigh lectures across the nation on how to engage physicians in change initiatives, EHR work flow optimization, revenue cycle process improvement, and on current issues in HIM. She worked with physician leadership to develop a business of medicine curriculum for the Systems-Based Practice competency for residents at UMMC and is co-chairing the Mississippi Health Information Management Association’s continuing education program. Founder of the Mississippi ICD-10 Collaborative, Leigh also provided ICD-10 transition training as a community service to physicians and their support staff across the state. In 2014, Leigh partnered with Dr. John Showalter to found Propel Health IT offering educational seminars to health information technology innovators on how healthcare providers and executives think, act, and make decisions. Leigh is a registered health information administrator (RHIA), a certified professional coder (CPC), a certified professional in healthcare information & management systems (CPHIMS), an AHIMA approved ICD-10-CM/PCS trainer and ambassador, and is certified in Epic EHR Professional Billing. Leigh holds a bachelor’s degree from Wellesley College and a master of health informatics and information management from the University of Mississippi Medical Center.