OUR GUEST Mac McMillan, CEO, Cynergistek
We discuss the current Healthcare InfoSec environment with THE pre-eminent expert; specifically we discuss the following with Mac:
- (3:01) Will you walk us through how security and privacy as evolved in healthcare over the last 15 years?
- (5:51) CynergisTek was recently named #512 on the Inc. 5000 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies. How are you managing your growth and recruiting the right professionals for your team?
- (8:32) Will you explain the rise of ransomware in healthcare recently?
- (11:03) What do you think are the biggest security threats facing healthcare organizations today?
- (14:11) What are some strategies for mitigating organizational risk for security incidents or breaches in an environment that’s constantly evolving?
- (16:32) Are colleges and universities preparing programs fast enough to adequately train people to do security work?
- (19:05) What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve seen organizations make with respect to their security strategies?
- (21:19) What’s coming down the pike that healthcare information security professionals need to be ready for?
Listen to our previous interview with Mac Live from #HIMSS16!
CynergisTek is a top-ranked information security and privacy consulting firm focused on healthcare. CynergisTek offers an array of solutions that help organizations measure privacy and security programs against regulatory requirements and assists in developing a best practice approach to risk management. Since 2004 the company has served as a partner to hundreds of healthcare providers, payers and vendors with a consulting team comprised of subject matter experts that have a passion for helping clients achieve success. CynergisTek is also dedicated to supporting and educating the industry by contributing to relevant associations such as HIMSS, AHIMA, HFMA, HCCA, AHIA, AHLA, IAPP and CHIME.
CynergisTek is led by an executive team that brings an average of nearly 20 years of privacy and security management experience in both private and public sector organizations. Our executives are highly sought-after industry thought leaders as experts in healthcare privacy, security and compliance. Members of the company’s leadership team have collectively presented at over 100 conferences, contributed to 1,000s of articles and been featured in more over 100 different healthcare trade and general business news publications.
Our consultants have an average of 15 years of experience in their domain of expertise – privacy management, IT security management, IT audit and/or compliance management. Additionally, they all pursue professional development and maintain critical certifications to ensure that they are best prepared to provide our clients with superior service. A sampling of certifications held by our consultants include CISSP, HCISPP, CRISC, CISA, CIPP, CISM, CGEIT and CHC. (from http://cynergistek.com/about/)
About Mac McMillan
Mac McMillan is co-founder and CEO of CynergisTek, Inc., an authority in information security, privacy, audit and regulatory compliance in healthcare. He is the current Chair of the HIMSS Privacy & Security Policy Task Force. McMillan brings nearly 40 years of combined intelligence, security countermeasures and consulting experience from positions with both government and private sector positions and has worked in the healthcare industry since his retirement from the federal government in 2000. McMillan served as Director of Security for two separate Defense Agencies, and sat on numerous interagency intelligence and security countermeasures committees while serving in the U.S. government.
McMillan is a thought leader in compliance, security and privacy issues in healthcare, contributing to several industry trade publications, blogs and newsletters. He sits on several advisory boards, including CHIME, AEHIS, HIT Exchange and HealthTech Industry, as well as HCPro Editorial Advisory Board and HealthCare’s Most Wired™ Survey Advisory Board. He has contributed to more than 300 articles and postings in Healthcare IT magazines, healthcare IT blogs and other healthcare newsletters, etc. He also presents regularly at national conferences and regional events, and was a contributing author to the HIMSS book, “Information Security in Healthcare: Managing Risk.”
McMillan holds a Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies from the U.S. Naval War College and a Bachelor of Science degree in Education from Texas A&M University. He is a graduate of the of the Senior Officials in National Security program at the JF Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and a 1993/4 Excellence in Government Fellow. He was recognized in 2012 as a HIMSS Fellow and as one of the top ten health information security influencers of 2013. In 2015 he was named as one of the top healthcare IT leaders by Becker’s Hospital Review.
Latest posts by Joe Lavelle (see all)
- How Ostendio is Helping Providers to Combat Cybercrime - July 11, 2018
- Experian Health to Help Providers with Consumerism at HFMA - June 4, 2018
- The Solution to Proper Medication Disposal - May 25, 2018