Care Giving with Barth Holohan
TODAYS GUEST Barth Holohan, Co-Owner, Family Partners
We are pleased to continue our series on Care Giving with another great conversation, this time on care giving for dementia patients with Barth. Specifically, we discussed the following with Barth:
- (5:21) One of the things family caregivers struggle with is finding time to take care of themselves while also providing care to their family member. How does Family Partners Adult Day Centers provide a solution for this dilemma?
- (7:44) Why is it important to identify care giving services outside of just providing professional in-home caregivers?
- (9:18) Why are Family Caregivers are the biggest impediment to their loved one with dementia living a fulfilling life with their disease?
- (12:27) What is important in caring for those with dementia? How do you help families get that care?
- (14:14) What recommendations do you have for those that are getting started to pursuing help in care giving?
- (17:46) What solutions are still missing in the care giving space?
About Barth Holohan
Barth Holohan, is the founder and president of Continuum, which provides home care services that allows people to remain independent at every stage of life. Continuum, founded in 2002, has grown to be one of the largest private duty home care companies in the country. Barth also is co-founder of Family Partners Adult Day Services, Family Partners Home (Assisted Living Facility for seniors with dementia), and Family Hire LLC (Medicaid CDS Services). He is an expert on elder care and the home care industry. He holds a Masters in Business and a Masters of Social Work with a concentration in gerontology from Washington University in St. Louis. Barth was a 2005 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the year finalist and was awarded the St. Louis Business Journal 40 under 40 award, the SSM Health Care Stewardship Award in 2007 and in 2009 was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award from Washington University’s Brown School of Social Work. Barth lives in St. Louis Missouri with his wife and five children.
About Family Partners
Family Partners is extremely proud of the team that has led our company through the years. Led by industry expert Lauren Erdelen, who has been with us from our initial opening in May of 2008, our care staff are professional, compassionate and reliable. Family Partners’ goal is to significantly reduce the stress of caring for a loved one with memory impairment and to provide care solutions that help seniors prolong independence. Our clients’ happiness and well-being are our number one priority.
Our licensed directors, nurses, activities directors and certified nurse aides provide the best staff-to-client ratios in the industry. All staff are screened, bonded and insured. Our comprehensive screening includes National Criminal, Identity, MVR, SSN, State Family Care Registry, and EDL. Each employee has the latest training on assisting those individuals with memory loss, making your loved one’s experience a pleasant one.