Joined on the show today by George Santino, the author of Get Back Up: From the Streets to Microsoft Suites. You can learn more about George Santino here.
Discussion guide from my conversation with George Santino:
1. Just because you start with nothing, doesn’t mean you’ll end up with nothing.
2. It doesn’t matter where you start, just as long as you do start. What really matters is where you finish.
3. Even when faced with physical or emotional challenges, it’s important to not see yourself as the victim.
4. No matter how many times in life you get knocked down, you should always get back up.
5. Whatever you think you deserve, you can get it by putting in the effort and not letting the circumstance surrounding you hinder your ability to achieve your goal.
6. The importance of helping others, being a mentor and creating opportunities for those who seek your guidance.
7. One has to make a difference in life to add value. Otherwise what’s the point of being here?
Find George Santino’s book here:
About George Santino:
George has been a fast food restaurant manager, life insurance salesman, Realtor, sports bar owner, liquor salesman, shoe repair owner, real estate investor, software tester, software engineering manager, and Microsoft partner.
George’s life has been filled with many ups and downs. At one point he injured his back so badly it required three operations and led to an eventual diagnosis of Failed Back Syndrome and he was told he would never work again. This was one of the many times George was knocked down but he always got back up, eventually landing a job at Microsoft—after being turned down four times—as an entry level lab engineer and retiring twenty years later from his position as Partner Engineering Manager.
Since his retirement George has embarked upon a new career as a professional speaker and author.
When George isn’t writing or speaking he is singing or composing the lyrics to his next song. He has released three CDs, all of which spent some time at the top of the Amazon Hot New Releases list. His book, Get Back Up: From the Streets to Microsoft Suites will be released in June.
He is a former marketing strategist, national political operative, and lobbyist.
Todd has published five books, writes a business + lifestyle column, is a distance runner, and lives in Chicago with his wife Stephanie + family.