In Episode 6, we learn how to Get Out of Me-Tooville! How to avoid the common scenario that EVERYONE is saying virtually the same thing in the marketplace. And when all competitors are saying the same thing, there is no way to differentiate yourself. Unless you are finding your voice…
Welcome to SliceRadio! Helping you slice through the noise, and to better connect with the people most important to your business. According to SLICE host Michael Taylor: “We all need two things to be successful in this world: 1. other people and 2. The ability to connect with them.” SLICE is about helping you nail #2 by communicating with power and clarity anywhere you need to make things happen.
Notes and discussion guide from Episode 6: Finding your voice to get out of me-tooville
1. What is Me-Tooville?
2. Most companies are saying the same thing as their competitor, and many don’t even realize it. Because they’ve also heard the same message themselves hundreds of time…
3. How to break out from the pack, and finally begin the process to differentiate your organization.
4. “Untether yourself from mass articulations…” Do the Google test on your message. Or use a tool like Grammarly….
5. You have to become buzzword non-compliant…
6. Apply lessons from singing, “Finding your voice.” You can be a technically perfect singer, but be completely unmemorable. Or…you could have such a (non)perfect approach to singing that you move people to tears, or at least be memorable. This is finding your voice, and this is fresh communication…
7. “The mind is differential…” Our mind sees SO MUCH NOISE AND STUFF, that it does in fact notice something different, new, and novel…
8. Talk to people outside of your industry, outside of your client realm, to play back what they understand about you, to see if it is actually on point…
9. “Interrogate your own communications. Are they understanding what you want them to? And ask why people should care…”
10. Finally, time for the “Weasel of the Week!”
About your co-host, Michael Taylor:
Michael Taylor learned a few big things from his 20 years of simplifying heinously complicated businesses…so he started SimpleMind, a strategic marketing firm that helps companies with complex offerings translate their value.
Michael led strategic marketing teams for over 100 companies growing his award winning marketing agency to serving fortune 500 clients in 12 cities and 6 countries until selling an equity stake of his company to a large consulting company in 2005.
This series is made possible by:
SimpleMind helps companies and leaders convey complex ideas with force and clarity. The harder your offerings are to explain, understand, or sell, the more value we bring.
We are communication experts, designers, facilitators, writers and digital specialists. We’ll help you deliver your story and ideas with force consistently, in your sales presentations, through your website, through social channels, and in your electronic and print materials.
Over 100 of the world’s top companies have relied on SimpleMind to energize customers, new markets, and teams through improved communications.
He is a former marketing strategist, national political operative, and lobbyist.
Todd has published five books, writes a business + lifestyle column, is a distance runner, and lives in Chicago with his wife Stephanie + family.