You may know him as Chunk from The Goonies, but former actor and now Hollywood power-entertainment lawyer Jeff Cohen has written a book that will change the way you think about business and life. Jeff joins me on the show to discuss his new book, The Dealmakers Ten Commandments: Ten Essential Tools For Business Forged in the Trenches of Hollywood. Jeff is the co-founder and partner of the Beverly Hills law firm Cohen Gardner.
1. Successfully negotiating deals, managing time, and proper crisis management is one thing. Doing all three, whilst NOT losing your soul in the process, is quite another. How do you, and why do you, do that?
2. We all deal with tough life transitions. Jeff went from successful child actor to nothing. How did he transition to a VERY successful life?
3. As the subtitle suggests, business lessons forged in Hollywood, are notoriously cutthroat. How do these apply to the day-to-day business realities of the rest of us?
4. Are there business lessons we can apply from both Machiavelli and Nietzche? [My favorite part of the conversation…]
5. We all have some success early in our life. For you, you were Chunk, which is a cultural icon. How do we move past these to succeed, enjoy, and thrive in later periods of our life?
6. Is this book a guide to “living life on your own terms?”
7. Why you need see that “combat is an honor…”
Jeff’s Ten Commandments:
1. It is better to be feared than loved.
2. Power leads, reason follows.
3. Everyone is on the same side…their own.
4. Things are precisely as they seem.
5. No pig wrestling.
6. Take yes for yes, maybe for yes, and no for maybe.
7. Do it, delete it, delegate it.
8. Don’t panic, stop the bleeding, don’t compound the error.
9. Be a dealmaker, not a deal breaker.
10. Heed Nietzche’s warning…
Get your copy of Jeff’s book here:
The Dealmaker’s Ten Commandments: Ten Essential Tools for Business Forged in the Trenches of Hollywood
CLICK HERE to never miss another killer conversation with people like Jeff Cohen, sent DIRECT to your INBOX!
He is a former marketing strategist, national political operative, and lobbyist.
Todd has published five books, writes a business + lifestyle column, is a distance runner, and lives in Chicago with his wife Stephanie + family.