Joined on the show today by Guy Kawasaki, best-selling author, speaker, and currently the Chief Evangelist for Canva. He joins us today to talk about two recent books of his, The Art of Social Media, and the Art of the Start 2.0. Today’s episode is made possible by mRelevance!
Guy is the chief evangelist of Canva, an online, graphics-design service, trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation, and executive fellow at the Haas School of Business at U.C. Berkeley. Formerly, he was an advisor to the Motorola business unit of Google and chief evangelist of Apple. He is the author of The Art of the Start 2.0, The Art of Social Media, Enchantment, and ten other books. Guy has a BA from Stanford University and an MBA from UCLA as well as an honorary doctorate from Babson College.
Discussion guide from today’s show:
The Art of Social Media
1. Why the world needed another book on social media.
2. With social media, how do you get the most bang for your time, effort, and money?
3. Guy suggests a bottom-up approach to social media. Why?
4. “Social media is a marketing platform…”
5. The keys to building the right foundation:
Amass digital assets.
Optimize your profile.
Integrate social media + blogging.
6. Active presence on ALL platforms? Or master of just a few?
7. Different strategy when considering B to C and B to B?
The Art of the Start 2.0
8. We discuss the reason Guy wrote 2.0, and listed all of the major changes that have happened since he published the first edition: social media, crowdfunding, cloud computing, to name a few.
9. Do you need a business plan anymore?
10. Do you still need PR and advertising?
11. And finally, with regards to startups, we discussed the fundamentals that have NOT changes:
Focusing on the wrong/right priorities.
Building a strong team.
Creating an awesome product.
Facing down competition.
This episode is made possible by mRelevance:
mRELEVANCE is a full-service marketing, communications and interactive agency that drives traffic and increases sales through both traditional and interactive methods.
Built on a foundation of public relations, social media, internet marketing, search engine optimization, web development and more, we are best known for creating digital marketing strategies that are relevant, effective and measurable. Basically, if you think of it as marketing then we do it. Marketing, adversiting, website, creative, social, PR, graphic design, promotions, email and more.