Today we present Episode 3 of a new intrepidNOW series, Leadership on the Ground. I am joined by my co-host Erica Peitler, where we continue our conversation about a new way to approach leadership development. Everything you think you know about leadership, is about to be turned upside down…Discussion Guide from today’s episode:
1. Why does sequence matter? I guess the “order of things” has an impact on how leaders lead. It’s an under-appreciated challenge…
2. We will always talk about self, team, and then organization. You CANNOT be an effective leader without focusing on yourself FIRST. You have to work on your blind spots first. “Understand what is next in the sequence of YOUR OWN development.”
3. First mistake MOST LEADERS make is NOT properly setting expectations. Without doing do, leadership is just plain hard. Without this, you cannot achieve true accountability.
4. After setting expectations, you then have to “stay in the pocket.”
5. We talked about “communication and relationships” in a past episode. Now, in the context of thinking about expectations and accountability, you begin to better understand their importance.
6. Why the idea of “mutually agreed…” matters.
7. Is there a model that applies to achieving these same things at a team level (these are far more complex)? This might be called “analytical rigor.”
8. Shifting to organizations, most organizations want growth, but aren’t prepared for growth. How should we think about sequencing here?
9. A common tale, when an organization says, “We don’t have a leader ready to take on this new challenge, right now.” This generally means leadership development is out of sequence…
10. “Strategy matters, yes. But the culture and the right people on the bus matter too…BEFORE strategy.”
11. KEY TO LEADERSHIP (and SEQUENCE MATTERS HERE): In order, Culture, Talent, Strategy, Performance
About the co-host:
Erica Peitler is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Erica is the author of the groundbreaking leadership book, Leadership Rigor:
Leadership Rigor: Breakthrough Performance and Productivity–Leading Yourself, Teams and Organizations