Patient Financial Engagement: The Patient is the New Payer
TODAYS GUEST Johnathan Wiik, Principal, TransUnion Healthcare
Johnathan joined us to discuss his new book, Healthcare Revolution: The Patient is the New Payer. Specifically, we discussed the following with Johnathan:
- (2:55) Jonathan, what inspired you to write the book?
- (4:25) Why is the healthcare system reacting so slowly to this new reality that patients are the new payer?
- (7:14) What should providers be doing to facilitate the change?
- (9:00) What should patients be doing to prepare themselves to be a payer?
- (11:26) Why will patient financial engagement become vital over the next few years?
- (16:52) Jonathan, I found that the following paragraph from your book was especially insightful on the issue of navigating healthcare: “Without a determined, collaborative effort from the employer and employees to uncover the realities of the coverage, we are left with a situation where employees must self-navigate a healthcare system, which is very difficult to understand and use. As a result, when employees access their employer-provided health benefits without fully understanding what the benefits are or how they work, they are unable to make choices that address the patient financial responsibility aspects of their care.” Based upon my own experience, I can tell you that the situation is even worse for those of us on individual plans. What innovation can be introduced in the next few years to help patients navigate?
- (20:46) What have I missed? What haven’t we discussed that readers of your book will learn?
Click here for more information and to purchase the book.
About Johnathan Wiik
Jonathan Wiik has over 20 years’ experience in health care, and he has worked in both the acute care and insurance setting. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine, and holds two Master’s Degrees – one in Healthcare Administration, and one in Business Jonathan actively serves on the Colorado HFMA Board and is President of the Board of Directors at an Assisted Living facility in Boulder, CO.
Mr. Wiik has spoken at several national and state events, and has developed several nationally-recognized programs in Point-of-Service (POS) Collections, financial clearance, and sharing best practices in hospital operations. Jonathan currently serves as a Principal at TransUnion, in the Healthcare Solutions Division.
Jonathan enjoys spending time with his family in Colorado, has a wonderful wife and two very energetic red-headed boys. He enjoys doing anything in outdoors and is a certified whitewater rafting guide instructor. He also enjoys traveling and has visited several continents – Including a 6 month stay in Antarctica and the South Pole.