A real pleasure to welcome Stephen Tansey to the show. Stephen is the next guest on our Long Shadow Leadership series (Click here to view the complete series)! Stephen is the President and COO of York Container Company.Today’s discussion guide:
1. How to overcome challenges, and how to personally develop as a leader.
2. When you get the opportunity to learn, take full advantage.
3. Surround yourself with smart people, especially when they have skills you are weak in. Get the right people into the company, even if they have to come from the outside.
4. How does an organization empower its employees, and treat them well, so that it can remain competitive in the talent wars?
5. The three-legged stool: leverage Lean principles, using IT to focus on making change, and engagement.
6. How to navigate an organization (and your people) through massive change in an industry.
7. To grow, you have to both think inwardly and outwardly.
8. Demonstrate a reason for your people to trust you.
9. The vision thing, how to do it yourself, but also advice for other manufacturers.
10. You have to be willing reinvent in the organization to see long-term growth, and to motivate your people.
11. An organization is always a “work in progress.”
About Stephen Tansey
Stephen is President and Chief Operating Officer of York Container Company, a corrugated packaging manufacturer in south-central Pennsylvania. Tansey began his career with York Container in 2002 as Director of Plant Operations, responsible for production, quality and logistics. He was appointed Chief Operating Officer in 2004, and became President in 2011, when he structured a leveraged buyout to consolidate ownership and acquired controlling interest of the 60 year old company.
Since becoming President, Tansey has led the company through a period of significant growth resulting in a three-fold increase in year-over-year cash flow and a six-fold increase in year-over-year net income, while increasing plant production output by nearly 50% during a period of static industry growth. In addition, Tansey was instrumental in the development of nine packaging design patents, with four additional patents pending for products he co-designed to improve material handling.
Stephen Tansey holds an M.B.A. from the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University and a B.S. degree in Finance from Santa Clara University. Tansey lives in York, PA, with his wife and three sons.
About the Co-Host REBECCA STATON-REINSTEIN, Ph.D. and President of Advantage Leadership, Inc., works with leaders around the world who want to increase bottom-line results while engaging employees and delighting customers. Her clients achieve business goals through strategic planning, leadership development, and process improvement drawing on Rebecca’s proven ability to mentor them through organizational change. Her team works with you to craft highly customized, successful solutions to your complex business problems in all economic sectors.
CLICK HERE (and check Leadership) to never miss another episode of the Long Shadow Leadership series, sent DIRECT to your INBOX!
He is a former marketing strategist, national political operative, and lobbyist.
Todd has published five books, writes a business + lifestyle column, is a distance runner, and lives in Chicago with his wife Stephanie + family.