Welcome to Episode 1 of SLICERadio! Helping you slice through the noise, and to better connect with the people most important to your business. According to SLICE host Michael Taylor: “We all need two things to be successful in this world: 1. other people and 2. The ability to connect with them.” SLICE is about helping you nail #2 by communicating with power and clarity anywhere you need to make things happen.
In Episode 1, we learn about the brain, and how it works. When you understand cognitive threshold, clustering, and using emotion, you will begin to understand how to design communications that will be far more impactful to your intended audience!
1. We only need two things to get stuff done: humans, and the ability to connect with them.
2. Computers may change, but our brains do not, and have not changed much since the dawn of mankind.
3. The concept of COGNITIVE THRESHOLD – our brain can only hold and process so much data. There is so much noise out there, that our brain has become selective.
4. When you have to convey an important message, most people take too long in the wind-up, and people’s brains become tired before you ever get to your key point. As a result of this, corporate America is wasting billions of hours of time…
5. Humans can really only handle three to five bits of data at any given time. If you provide more, our brain gets tired, and we remember NOTHING.
6. In addition to cognitive threshold, our brains also are good at CLUSTERING, and can easily cluster a batch of data, especially if the data is about something we care about.
7. On top of this, this cluster of ideas must push emotional buttons. Naturally, our brains respond to emotion.
8. When delivering a message, you must use emotion, you cannot strip your language of humanity.
9. There is a CRITICAL difference between being comprehensive, and connecting with someone.
10. We discuss how to apply cognitive threshold, clustering, and using emotion. And as you might imagine, this is why “story” is so important (and why storytelling has ALWAYS been important).
About your co-host, Michael Taylor:
Michael Taylor learned a few big things from his 20 years of simplifying heinously complicated businesses…so he started SimpleMind, a strategic marketing firm that helps companies with complex offerings translate their value.
Michael led strategic marketing teams for over 100 companies growing his award winning marketing agency to serving fortune 500 clients in 12 cities and 6 countries until selling an equity stake of his company to a large consulting company in 2005.
This series is made possible by:
SimpleMind helps companies and leaders convey complex ideas with force and clarity. The harder your offerings are to explain, understand, or sell, the more value we bring.
We are communication experts, designers, facilitators, writers and digital specialists. We’ll help you deliver your story and ideas with force consistently, in your sales presentations, through your website, through social channels, and in your electronic and print materials.
Over 100 of the world’s top companies have relied on SimpleMind to energize customers, new markets, and teams through improved communications.
He is a former marketing strategist, national political operative, and lobbyist.
Todd has published five books, writes a business + lifestyle column, is a distance runner, and lives in Chicago with his wife Stephanie + family.